The year is 1917 “One hundred years ago.”
What a difference a century makes!
Here are some statistics for the Year 1917:
- The average life expectancy for men was 47 years.
- Fuel for cars was sold in drug stores only.
- Only 14 percent of the homes had a bathtub.
- Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.
- The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.
- The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower.
- The average US wage in 1910 was 22 cents per hour.
- The average US worker made between $200 and $400 per year.
- A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per year.
- A dentist $2,500 per year.
- A veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 per year.
- And, a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.
- More than 95 percent of all births took place at home
- Ninety percent of all Doctors had NO COLLEGE EDUCATION!
- Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of which were condemned in the press AND the government as “substandard.”
- Sugar cost four cents a pound.
- Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.
- Coffee was fifteen cents a pound.
- Most women only washed their hair once a month, and, used Borax or egg yolks for shampoo.
- Canada passed a law that prohibited poor people from entering into their country for any reason.
- The Five leading causes of death were:
- Pneumonia and influenza
- Heart disease
- The American flag had 45 stars …
- The population of Las Vegas, Nevada was only 30.
- Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea hadn’t been invented yet.
- There was neither a Mother’s Day nor a Father’s Day.
- Two out of every 10 adults couldn’t read or write.
- And, only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school.
- Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at local corner drugstores.
- Back then pharmacists said, “Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach, bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health!” (Shocking?)
- Eighteen percent of households had at least one full-time servant or domestic help…
- There were about 230 reported murders in the ENTIRE U.S.A.!
It is impossible to imagine what it may be like in another 100 years